Interview with Claire Needell!

Hello and welcome to a very exciting interview! Today, Claire Needell is here to answer some questions about her newest release. The Word...

Hello and welcome to a very exciting interview! Today, Claire Needell is here to answer some questions about her newest release. The Word for Yes, out now! I hope you guys enjoy reading this interview as much as I did and make sure to check out The Word for Yes!

---

1. Hi Claire! Thanks so much for being here for this interview, I am super excited to have you here. My first question for you is what struggles did you come across when writing The Word for Yes and how did you overcome them?
The struggles I encountered in writing The Word for Yes were I suppose mostly around the pacing of the book. Each sister has her own narrative line, but they are also intertwined. I wanted Melanie's story to be the main thread and therefore had to maintain interest and suspense in her story while attending to the other story lines as well.

2. This book seems a sisterhood heavy book. Do you have any siblings and how did you experience with/without siblings help with writing The Word for Yes?
The novel is very much a sisterhood book! The irony is I have two brothers and zero sisters. I am, however, the mother of three girls. I guess the whole idea got started when I was reading Little Women aloud to my daughters. They were very into it--I think mainly because of the sisterhood aspect of it. I've always found it to be an impossibly boring book--except for the parts where the sisters have really strong negative reactions to each other--those seem to me to be very authentic moments. I am always intrigued by moments of emotional complexity. Typically, families struggle with the very deep, essential and complex nature of the familial bond. Often, YA novels flatten these relationships out and make them mostly good or mostly negative. I tried to make the sisters in The Word for Yes have very fluid feelings for each other and themselves. They are always riding the river of their own feelings and perspectives.

3. What inspired the title for The Word for Yes and was it your original title for the book?
The Word for Yes was not the original title. The various working titles will forever be my secret!

4. What message do you hope readers will get out of your book?
I do not think of The Word for Yes as a message-type book. It is more of an anti-message book. Teenagers are often the recipients of well-intentioned messages--with the adult world trying to fix the problems of growing up. I was trying to be really honest about the complexities of growing up in our society, which is so filled with so many conflicting messages about being a girl. I think first and foremost girls and women have to claim their own humanity, which is a very complex, life-long project that involves a lot of honest self-assessment and a lot of self-compassion. I do think that the exhibitionist party-culture can really get in the way of girls seeing themselves for who they really are--there is so much pressure to be sexy, popular and cool. The original title of the book was actually Party Girl. It was supposed to be ironic.

5. What kind of music do you like listening to when writing?
I never listen to music while I write. I listen to NPR all day. Talk radio all day long from morning coffee until dinner clean-up. Drives my boyfriend nuts.

6. When you're not writing, what do you like doing in your free time?
In my free time I like to take long scenic walks, hang out with my family, read, nap, meditate, exercise, travel, cook, dine out, see friends, see movies, shop...basic girl stuff.

7. Describe the cover of The Word for Yes in three words.
The cover: arresting, intriguing, perfect

8. What has been your favorite part of the process of publishing your novel?
My favorite part of the publishing process has been the editing process. I love working with an editor and getting feedback on ideas and language. It's a great learning experience!

9. If you were to give some advice to Jan, Erika, and Melanie about their whole situation, what would it be?
Advice for the Russell sisters: breathe. Deep, long breathes.

10. Thanks so much for doing this interview! Here is my final question: What do you have in store for the future? Do you have anything you're working on? We would love to know! (If you can tell us of course. :))
I am working on a new novel. It has elements of mystery and tragedy and hopefulness.

---

Claire Needell

Claire Needell is a graduate of Brown’s MFA Program, a middle school teacher, and the author of two books of poetry. Her nonfiction has appeared in The New York Times Sunday Review.


So tell me: What were your thoughts on this interview and have you heard of The Word for Yes?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top