Summer Read With a Super Cute Disabled Love Interest! // Sunday Street Team: Girl Out of Water by Laura Silverman

Hey everyone welcome to my stop for the Sunday Street Team tour for Girl Out of Water. I am super excited for this post because I reall...

Hey everyone welcome to my stop for the Sunday Street Team tour for Girl Out of Water. I am super excited for this post because I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to share my thoughts on it. I hope you enjoy and if you're interesting, make sure to enter the giveaway at the end of this post. 

Girl Out of Water

Author: Laura Silverman
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: May 2nd 2017
Format: eARC
Rating:
| Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository |
Anise Sawyer plans to spend every minute of summer with her friends: surfing, chowing down on fish tacos drizzled with wasabi balsamic vinegar, and throwing bonfires that blaze until dawn. But when a serious car wreck leaves her aunt, a single mother of three, with two broken legs, it forces Anise to say goodbye for the first time to Santa Cruz, the waves, her friends, and even a kindling romance, and fly with her dad to Nebraska for the entire summer. Living in Nebraska isn’t easy. Anise spends her days caring for her three younger cousins in the childhood home of her runaway mom, a wild figure who’s been flickering in and out of her life since birth, appearing for weeks at a time and then disappearing again for months, or even years, without a word. Complicating matters is Lincoln, a one-armed, charismatic skater who pushes Anise to trade her surfboard for a skateboard. As Anise draws closer to Lincoln and takes on the full burden and joy of her cousins, she loses touch with her friends back home – leading her to one terrifying question: will she turn out just like her mom and spend her life leaving behind the ones she loves
I think the thing that really intrigued me about this book was the fact that the love interest for the Anisa, Lincoln, is disabled! I honestly don't think I read enough books with characters who are disabled so I was super excited to read this book. Also, it seemed like a super cute summer read so I was pretty excited for another summer-y read. All in all, I really enjoyed it. I think the book had a few flaws but it's a super cute read. Definitely a great read if you're looking for a book with summer vibes.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was the characters. Not only do I really love the main character, but also the side characters. I think Anise had really great dynamics and relationships with the side characters: her cousins, her aunt, her dad, Lincoln, and other characters. I really admired how persistent and competitive she is and is kind of a perfectionist. Also, she really cared about her friends and owned up to her mistakes, which I also really liked about her. I definitely think there were so many facepalm moments in this book and I liked how Silverman wrote her as a flawed character who later realizes the mistakes she makes.
Not only that, I think Anise goes through some awesome character development in this book. She starts off this book with a pretty set vision on her life. Through this book though, I really liked how Anise sees more of what the world has to offer and she kind of develops a more open mind towards places that aren't her home. She becomes a better person through the book and it was really great getting to read about that.

Okay, the only really big issue I had with this book was that I wished the author talked more about Lincoln's disability. I have no experience being disabled so I can't determine what is or isn't good rep but I just feel like there could have been more about Lincoln's arm. Obviously, Silverman talks about it a little but I don't know, I just felt like there should have been more about it.

Anyways, I think this is a fabulous book to read and I really liked it. I loved the characters, the summer vibes this book gives off, and the fabulous storyline. Not to mention, disabled and POC characters!

Laura Silverman

Laura received her MFA in writing for children from the New School. She loves books and dogs—okay, and quite a few people too. She currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia. You can say hello on Twitter at @LJSilverman1.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top