Let's Talk!: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Author: Jesse Andrews Pages: 295 Published by: Harry N. Abrams Published on: March 1st 2012 Greg G...

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Author: Jesse Andrews
Pages: 295
Published by: Harry N. Abrams
Published on: March 1st 2012
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics. Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel. Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives. And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.

---

This book was a pretty great read. It was awesome actually because of how Jesse didn't make a romance story out of it. He didn't make a sob story out of it. He didn't make it so deep. This book was a light read and I liked that. Based of the synopsis it's very easy to roll your eyes and think "Oh, great another Fault in Our Stars." Me and Earl was definitely not a Fault in Our Stars. I really enjoyed this read for it's characters and wonderful plot.

Greg, our MC, was a pretty casual and funny guy. This book is kind of told like a journal and I really liked the style of writing. It was kind of like he was speaking to me. There were times where he would tell his thoughts in the situation. This whole book was very casual and light so the least I would expect from the writing was a bit of humor. Earl on the other hand has had a very tricky past and he isn't the best role model. Don't get me wrong though, I still like him. He is a very fun person to be around and just joke around with. Rachel, is someone who I would love to be friends with. She is so humble and down to earth and also a very calming person at times who can also have fun. She remained so strong when she found out she had leukemia and it took her awhile before it really wrecked, emotionally. I really loved all three of these characters and them being together in one book was just great.; loved the characters.

One of my favorite things of this book would definitely be the plot. I loved how they try to make a film for Rachel and their huge struggle to do so. This plot is a bit confusing because what was the point of this book? I have been trying to find an answer to this questions for awhile now and I just can't find an answer! All I got to say was it was a story about a guy trying to make a film for a dying girl? I know, it sounds exactly like what you would expect. Honestly I thought there would be more to the story but I guess not! I guess I'm okay with the fact that this book didn't have much in the plot. It was simple and that's what I loved about this book. It's simple and a very relaxing read. 

I give this book 4.5 stars because I loved the plot and characters but it's not a read I would give a full five. 



 Since there isn't much to say in this section, I'm just going to list some things I want to say!

  • Earl's siblings are so scary. They all get into fights so easily and *shudders.* Earl has got to be the most tame person out of his siblings.
  • I'm actually really sad Rachel dies. Yes, it was all kind of expected but it would have been nice to see her live.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top