Let's Talk!: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

These Broken Stars Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner Pages: 374  Published by: Disney Hyperion Published on: December 10th 201...

These Broken Stars

Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Pages: 374 
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Published on: December 10th 2013
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets to the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other's arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder - would they be better off staying in this place forever? Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won't be the same people who landed on it. The first in a sweeping science fiction trilogy, These Broken Stars is a timeless love story about hope and survival in the face of unthinkable odds.

~

I have heard really great things about this book and I am so glad I finally read it. I loved the plot, the writing, the characters, everything about this book was just great. There was action, secrets yet to be discovered, and oh the romance. If you like everything I just mentioned in the previous line definitely pick up this book!

Ohh the protagonists in this book were so two interest people. One is the richest man's daughter and another is a war hero. Lilac is such a sassy, independent, and strong female character. She is able to carry herself and being stranded on a planet with one other person really proved that. She didn't depend on Tarver to the point where she was dead weight. There was a part in the book where Lilac has to continue on surviving without Tarver and she survived just fine. This also showed that the girl is smart. As for Tarver, the least I would expect from a war hero is survival skills (and the skill of being able to use a gun). Tarver is brave, kind of quiet, and serious. He is one of those guys you tease about when he actually smiles for once you know? Tarver is probably someone I would want to be on a mysterious planet with. Only because of the fact that he is great at surviving and because he seems like a pretty cool person. If you didn't know this book is duo perspective, which seems reasonable since there are two authors writing this book. It was great to read from both the characters and see how they were dealing with the situations they were in. The duo perspective really helped me get to know more about the characters and personalites as well!

This plot was great. It was suspenseful and as I went further into the story, the plot thickens and got better and better. By the climax, it was such a greatly developed plot and I was so sad to know that I would never return back to Lilac and Tarver's story. I love how throughout the whole story, they are aiming to get one thing done and it was very clear on where the ending would take place. Some stories just keep going and when it ends is something that is very hard to predict; These Broken Stars is different. One thing I also loved was the world building, which was just great. The planet Lilac and Tarver get trapped on is so vivid in my mind because of the great world building. The ending was also great because it tied up this book perfectly. Since this book is kind of like a stand alone, a good ending is really important, which did happen. I would be pretty upset if this book left loose ends haha...

I have this book 5 stars because I loved the characters, plot, ending, world building, and everything!


There is honestly so much to talk about when it comes to this book. The fact that Lilac was dead, the hyperspace concept (which I don't fully get) and the time they spent on this planet thing. I think I freaked the heck out and was in a state of denial when Lilac died because I just couldn't believe it. Like nooo, they would never kill of the main character, LIKE SHE HAS HER OWN PERSPECTIVE IN THIS BOOK, YOU CAN'T KILL HER OFF! So like good things, bad things can come to an end too and Lilac returns, which scared the heck out of me as well because she was dead! We buried her, she was dead! Seeing her back in the cave freaked me out as much as it did to Tarver and I was probably the most confused human ever and I had very wavering trust with her after she came back. She could have been a trap for something and it definitely took me awhile to learn to trust her again. When I finally was able to trust her, we then learn that Lilac one day is going to just disappear, like the water bottle and flower did.
(Image Source)
I think on this point I was on the verge of tears because I shipped Tarver and Lilac so bad and the first time Lilac died I was pretty much devastated, AND NOW SHE WAS GOING TO DIE AGAIN! Okay, then we flash forward and ohh Tarver and Lilac jump into that weird worm-hole thing (Honestly I'm not sure what it is but it saved Lilac, that's all I know) and boom! Lilac is permanently alive! There was also those mornings (before they unlocked that door to the shack house thing), where Tarver would wake up and find Lilac not in bed and he would just freak out because it would be reasonable to think Lilac just disappeared into dust. But then again, he always freaked out, not me! I knew Lilac wouldn't "die" so easily! Anyway, happy Lilac is alive and Tarver does not get in trouble for "I'm sorry I wasn't able to save your daughter from dying, sir" situation...

It was also great to see Tarver and Lilac become friends throughout this book because, you know, they were complete strangers and you can be best friends with someone for years but if they have never seen you stressed, angry, crying, and all those emotions then they don't know you as well as you think they would do. Also, surviving a civilization-less planet with a stranger really does something to your friendship.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top