S.F.D: Open Letter to Marci Lyn Curtis and The One Thing

Hello and welcome to the third Sassy's Fangirls Debut post! A few weeks ago, I posted an open letter to Kim Savage and her book Af...

Hello and welcome to the third Sassy's Fangirls Debut post! A few weeks ago, I posted an open letter to Kim Savage and her book After the Woods. This is another open letter to an author and book. Today, I am writing to Marci Lyn Curtis and her debut novel, The One Thing! I hope you check out her new book and read my thoughts and excitement on it.

---

The One Thing

Author: Marci Lyn Curtis
Pages: 336
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: September 8th 2015
Maggie Sanders might be blind, but she won't invite anyone to her pity party. Ever since losing her sight six months ago, Maggie's rebellious streak has taken on a life of its own, culminating with an elaborate school prank. Maggie called it genius. The judge called it illegal. Now Maggie has a probation officer. But she isn't interested in rehabilitation, not when she's still mourning the loss of her professional-soccer dreams, and furious at her so-called friends, who lost interest in her as soon as she could no longer lead the team to victory. Then Maggie's whole world is turned upside down. Somehow, incredibly, she can see again. But only one person: Ben, a precocious ten-year-old unlike anyone she's ever met. Ben's life isn't easy, but he doesn't see limits, only possibilities. After awhile, Maggie starts to realize that losing her sight doesn't have to mean losing everything she dreamed of. Even if what she's currently dreaming of is Mason Milton, the magnetic lead singer of Maggie's new favorite band, who just happens to be Ben's brother. But when she learns the real reason she can see Ben, Maggie must find the courage to face a once-unimaginable future...before she loses everything she has grown to love.

---

Dear Marci Lyn Curtis

Dear Marci Lyn Curtis

I feel like blind or disabled characters are not written about much in YA and I appreciate the fact that your main character is blind. I am excited to read about the differences between her life with her sight being taken away and the her life with sight! Based on the synopsis, I can tell it has taken her life in a whole different path that isn't the most positive. 

Ben already is someone I am looking forward to read about in this book. I absolutely enjoy reading about kids in YA books because of how damn smart and strong they can be in situations. Being able to read about Maggie and Ben's interactions will be enjoyable for me, I'm sure. Ben past is also one thing I would love to read more about because when someone's life is a lot different from other people's lives, I always love reading about their story,

There is one last thing I want to express my excitement about, is this Mason Milton, who is a lead singer for Maggie's favorite band. I am excited to meet this guy because I definitely don't read enough books where there are characters who sing! (This book is full of underrated characters with underrated disabilities and abilities! More points on why I want to read this book) I'm looking forward to Maggie and Mason's interactions seeing as though Maggie does have a crush... *get's ready for those awkward conversations*

About ready to pick up The One Thing Marci! Hopefully will get the chance to read it maybe next year? Really am looking forward to picking up this (what looks likes to be a) find yourself novel! :D
-Kaitlin

Make sure to check out the other wonderful people also doing this project!

Talina (our fearless leader) | @talinaroma
Stefani | @StefaniSloma
Emily | @Emren
Heather | @hermitlibrarian
Eileen | @BookCatPin
Karina | @Watcha_Reading
Deanna | @deeschwazy
Claudia | @penmarkings
Kaitlin | @NextPagePlease_
Jasmine | @JasmineRaymundo
Angel | @AvidReaderBlog
Bex | @AureliaLit
Melissa | @MeliRobles
Kaitlin | @KaitlinS16
Aila | @aila_1woaa
Jess | @PrincessicaOB
Jamie | @booksandladders
Lauren | @BetweenDPages
Lizzie | @LizzieSarcastic
Erin | @xerinxlynnx
Aimee | @aimeereads

So tell me: What are your thoughts on this book and do you want to read The One Thing now?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top