Meet the Book that Has Thrown Me into an Emotional Hangover // Thoughts on Velvet by Temple West

Velvet Author: Temple West Publisher: Swoon Reads Release Date: May 12th 2015 Format: Paperback First rule of dealing with hot v...

Velvet

Author: Temple West
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Release Date: May 12th 2015
Format: Paperback
First rule of dealing with hot vampire bodyguards? Don't fall in love. After losing both her parents before age seventeen, aspiring designer Caitlin Holte feels like her whole world has been turned upside down, and that was before the terrifying encounter with a supernatural force. Then, she learns that her hot bad-boy neighbor, Adrian—who might have just saved her life—is actually a half-demon vampire. Suddenly Caitlin is stuck with a vampire bodyguard who feels that the best way to protect her is to become her pretend boyfriend. Trouble is, Caitlin is starting to fall in love for real, while Adrian can never love a human. Caitlin trusts Adrian to keep her safe from his demon father, but will he be able to protect her heart?
If you don't know, I am not that big of a paranormal person. All the angels and demons and faeries and werewolves shit, haaaaah yeah I'm not for all that. However, I am definitely not all against the matter of reading paranormal. Sometimes I can find myself a paranormal series that I really like (please read: that week I spent reading Vampire Academy) and this may be one of them, yay! I remember seeing Velvet around a really long time ago and what made me put it on my TBR were the book trailers, which are short and vague but very interesting. So, I put it on my TBR shelf and it wasn't until summer of last year when I was at Powell's that I saw the book there for about $7 and went ahead and bought it. And 2 weeks ago-ish, I finally picked it up.

Now I don't know why I waited so long to read this book because holy crap it is, SO GOOD. (Okay well I'm kind of postponed this book because the wait for book 2 would have been terrible) One of the things that I drives me away from paranormal is when the story becomes *too* much about the paranormal world, which is kinda weird to say because a paranormal book is about the paranormal things going on. It's just sometimes, a book is all out the paranormal. Every page in spent talking about the angels or faeries or whatever creature the book is about and it kind of lacks the fun moments of life. Velvet did not have that.

What I love abut Velvet is despite the fact that the situation the main character Kaitlin Caitlin has been put in, Temple still is able to include in some fun moments whether it's with Adrian or the new friends she makes while in Stony Creek. It's the books that have the laugh out loud moments and cry moments that I really love.

I also really love the characters of this book, but not just Caitlin and Adrian, but also the *gasp* side characters. There are most definitely side characters in Velvet but they're not the side characters that are just there to cause drama and are plain people, no. I really cared for some of the side characters that Temple wrote about and I love that because plain side characters are the worst.

One thing I always love about reading new paranormal (or even fantasy!) novels is reading about the world. Every author and series will have their different types of creatures or variations of said creatures. I really love reading about the world of vampires Temple has created and it's definitely interesting compared to the typical vampire with it's avoiding daylight and sleeping in coffins and all the fun stuff. Temple put her own twist into the "typical vampire" attributes. That is always very fun to read about and I look forward to reading more about the world she has created.

Everyone go read Velvet and Cashmere (which is very conveniently out now!) and have a fab time doing so because how could you not? This series is so good and if you're like me and don't enjoy paranormal *that* much, you might like it too!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top