Let's Talk!: Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

Magonia Author: Maria Dahvana Headley  Pages: 320 Published by: HarperCollins Published on: April 28th 2015 Aza Ray is drowning ...

Magonia

Author: Maria Dahvana Headley 
Pages: 320
Published by: HarperCollins
Published on: April 28th 2015
Aza Ray is drowning in thin air. Since she was a baby, Aza has suffered from a mysterious lung disease that makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live. So when Aza catches a glimpse of a ship in the sky, her family chalks it up to a cruel side effect of her medication. But Aza doesn't think this is a hallucination. She can hear someone on the ship calling her name. Only her best friend, Jason, listens. Jason, who’s always been there. Jason, for whom she might have more-than-friendly feelings. But before Aza can consider that thrilling idea, something goes terribly wrong. Aza is lost to our world—and found, by another. Magonia. Above the clouds, in a land of trading ships, Aza is not the weak and dying thing she was. In Magonia, she can breathe for the first time. Better, she has immense power—and as she navigates her new life, she discovers that war is coming. Magonia and Earth are on the cusp of a reckoning. And in Aza’s hands lies the fate of the whole of humanity—including the boy who loves her. Where do her loyalties lie?

---

Magonia was...perfect. I don't know how else to way that. The writing style was so interesting to read from and the plot added onto that greatness. The book starts off slow but once the plot picks up and thickens OOOHHHH MAAAN. I recommend this book to everyone. It has a bit of fantasy, romance, humor, action, and great writing.

I loved the characters in this book. Aza was actually a pretty fun about; from her disease to seeing a ship in the sky. Her personality is just so sassy. She had so much sass and refused to be persuaded in believe in something she really didn't. Another thing I wasn't surprised to see from her was how long it took her to give up on something and that is just another aspect I love about Aza! Jason was a perfect best friend. I noticed he was always kind of overlooked by Aza because I felt as though the amount of things he does for Aza just went unnoticed by her. That's why I was sososo happy when Aza was finally able to see all the things Jason does for her appreciates him for him. Along with Aza and Jason there were other very interesting characters, most of were not human. Just going to say that because I loved the other characters that we meet along the way. 

The plot was what really got me reading. First the book starts off as one thing then BOOM, it gets like 10 times better. I'm really glad that happened because the other world this book takes place in is the most awesome-est thing ever. And based on the synopsis, I didn't really expect so much action and fun to come from this book but Maria delivered. The events kept me so driven on to keep reading this book. There was also a lot of information about the ships in the sky that I didn't know about and being able to learn more about the ships in the sky was also something I that kept me reading. The ending to this book wrapped it up so nicely and if Maria were to not write a sequel I would have no problem because the ending was that perfect. (Wouldn't mind if she did write a sequel though.)

I gave this book 5 stars because I loved the characters and the plot was so enjoyable to read from. 



Can I just say how much I loved reading about Aza in Magonia! Magonia was just so cool to read about with the flying ship and the bird in your lungs and ahhhh! How certain melodies can do things and it's just sooo cool. I also really liked the people she  met on the ship. Her mom (at this point, I don't know what she is), Dai and a ton of other people who I cannot remember names of right now. Such cool and interesting people! Maria definitely did a great job coming up and developing this Magonian world.

Just a thought: Jason's almost death scared the crap out of me.

Another thing that I really liked was how suspenseful the climax got. How the ship was being attacked as Aza had no control over her voice, how she takes out her bird and replaces it with NAME's old one. Then Jason is able to find Aza and she does into the skin and takes a new appearance.

(Image Source)
Then she comes home and her parents are crying over the fact that they have Aza back. Oh then her sister starts crying too and OH IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL ENDING. I DREAD A NEW BOOK IN WHICH AZA MUST HAVE TO GO THROUGH SUFFERING. I loved the ending, I really really loved it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top