Let's Talk!: Starflight by Melissa Landers

Starflight Author: Melissa Landers Pages: 369 Publisher: Disney-Hyperion Release Date: February 2nd 2016 Life in the outer realm...

Starflight

Author: Melissa Landers
Pages: 369
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: February 2nd 2016
Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith. When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...

---

I have been a pretty big fan of Melissa Lander's writing and books. Really loved the Alienated series and I was quite excited to hear that she was writing a new series, Starflight! Melissa writes great stuff that has something to do with space and with that synopsis? Label me intrigued. I finally read it and enjoyed it. The space and sci-fi aspects really made the book fun and enjoyable to read and I really loved reading about Doran and Solara. Their situation definitely made reading Starflight hilarious and brought so humor to the book. If you enjoy a funny and suspenseful read with sci-fi, definitely try out Starflight!

I really loved reading about these characters and the newer characters that get introduced as the book progresses. When I read the synopsis, I knew Solara would be an interesting character. Girl is able to survive living in a world where they tattoo you if you're a felon, so everyone basically knows what you have done. That makes it a lot harder to get a job as you can image no one want's a criminal washing their toilets. I really loved how independent Solara was and also how smart she was in certain situations. A lot of the things that had happened to her in this book were most definitely new to her and I love how smartly she reacted in some of them.

Doran was also a character I was looking forward to reading about. Not only because he seemed like an interesting character but his history with Solara didn't seem the best so I went into this book wondering whether or not he was going to be a complete jerk or change a bit from high school. The relationship development (is that a phrase? Well! It is now) between Doran and Solara is also great because it really changes throughout the book. Obviously they start off hating each other and by the end, I am glad to say that they have both grown in their own way, but their friendship also grew as well. Looking forward to see how this goes in the next book!

The plot of Starflight was just as great as the characters. The synopsis was super vague on what was happening in this book so I went in not really knowing much on what was going on. I wanted to find out what this "twist of fate was," how, and why they are on this shady ship. I am glad Melissa delivered such an interesting story and Starflight constantly kept me on my toes. Really also enjoyed how the story travels to several parts of the Starflight world, which got me understanding more on this more advanced universe. It made me really want to read more in hopes of getting more of this world and I really had a fun time with Solara, Doran, and the Banshee crew as they got themselves into pretty weird situations....

The one problem I had with this book was how stiff and unrealistic the dialouge got at some points. It definitely did hinder my enjoyment of Starflight just a bit. I felt awkward reading some lines because of how unrealistic they were to me. Other than that, this book was great!

I gave this book 4.5 stars because I really enjoyed the plot and characters but wished the dialouge could have been a bit more realistic and less stiff.

There are still so many things I want to know more about when it comes to the characters of Starflight. I wanna know more about the Banshee crew, more about Doran's family, Gage especially. Ugh, I totally should have seen Gage being alive coming at me. Dead brother, missing mom, framed for something he didn't do, it was so perfect. I was totally surprised on Gage being alive and I really do look forward to seeing more of him in the next book and hearing more of his story.

You know what else I really want? This whole situation being over and Doran going back to Zenith to find his ex-girlfriend still there. Then I want him to kick her out, with Solara there by his side the whooole time, and she can definitely say somethings to her. Ugh, just give me some sort of confrontation with this girl because it would be hilarious, set up for the perfect ending, and also give me the satisfaction of knowing something happened to her after telling off Doran. (Sadistic I know but)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top