Interview with Burning Glass Author, Kathryn Purdie!

Hey everyone and welcome to a very exciting interview with BURNING GLASS author Kathryn Purdie! Today, she talks a little about herself, h...

Hey everyone and welcome to a very exciting interview with BURNING GLASS author Kathryn Purdie! Today, she talks a little about herself, her book and it's characters and world. I hope you enjoy and make sure to check out BURNING GLASS if you haven't heard of it yet!

---

1. Hi Kathryn and welcome to Next Page Please! Thank you so much for being here today. Let's start this interview with a question to get to know you better! What do you like doing when you're not writing?

Thanks so much for having me here! When I’m not writing (let’s be honest, hardly ever), I love to binge-watch TV shows with my husband, see all the latest movies (we’re actors, so this is ART), drive up the canyon, and play guitar and sing.

2. What is something you're excited for readers to read about in Burning Glass? (A character, event, place, etc.)

Hmm. For me it’s not so much a character, place, or event I’m most excited about sharing…it’s the whole feeling of the story that I want readers to take away with them. I hope it’s fertile ground for deep thought, empowerment, and lovely escapism.

3. What has been your favorite part about publishing your book?

My favorite part has been meeting more authors and publishing professionals in the industry. But my favorite moment was running into the bookstore with my family, just minutes before closing, and seeing my book on the bookshelf for the first time. I jumped up and down and started squealing and clapping.

4. If Sonya came to our world, what do you think she would feel about it and what would be the first thing she would do?

Oh, that’s painful to think about! Our world is so noisy, overcrowded, and full of tension. I think Sonya would run for the mountains and hide away for a while, and then slowly acclimate herself to entering the bigger cities, like dipping her toe into a cold pool of water before jumping in. I think Sonya would also find respite in music. She’d probably buy some noise-blocking headphones and download a ton of calming songs.

5. Thank you so much for being here Kathryn and congrats on Burning Glass's publication! For my final question, I would love to know what the first thing you would do if you were dropped into the Burning Glass world?

Ooh, fun! I have to admit, I’d want to tour the palace in Torchev. Even though it’s full of corruption, I’d want to see every inch of that beautiful and fascinating place that I’ve imagined so vividly in my head.

---

Burning Glass

Author: Kathryn Purdie
Pages: 512
Publishers: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: March 1st 2016
Sonya was born with the rare gift to feel what those around her feel—both physically and emotionally—a gift she’s kept hidden from the empire for seventeen long years. After a reckless mistake wipes out all the other girls with similar abilities, Sonya is hauled off to the palace and forced to serve the emperor as his sovereign Auraseer. Tasked with sensing the intentions of would-be assassins, Sonya is under constant pressure to protect the emperor. But Sonya’s power is untamed and reckless, and she can’t always decipher when other people’s impulses end and her own begin. In a palace full of warring emotions and looming darkness, Sonya fears that the biggest danger to the empire may be herself. As she struggles to wrangle her abilities, Sonya seeks refuge in her tenuous alliances with the charming-yet-volatile Emperor Valko and his idealistic younger brother, Anton, the crown prince. But when threats of revolution pit the two brothers against each other, Sonya must choose which brother to trust—and which to betray. 

---

Kathryn Purdie

Kathryn’s love of storytelling began as a young girl when her dad told her about someone named Boo Radley while they listened to the film score of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. In high school and college, Kathryn focused on acting, poetry, guitar, and extensive journal writing. Years later, when she was in recovery from donating a kidney to her brother, inspiration for her first novel struck. She’s been writing darkly fantastical stories ever since. Her debut novel, BURNING GLASS, releases winter 2016 from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books.

So tell me: Did you enjoy this interview and have you heard of Burning Glass? What are your thoughts on it?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top