In Which Cheyenne Talks About Mental Illness in Books // Summer Blog Promo Tour

Hey everyone and welcome to the third Summer Blog Promo Tour post, hosted by the Book Bratz. Today, I have Cheyenne from Once Upon A Time ...

Hey everyone and welcome to the third Summer Blog Promo Tour post, hosted by the Book Bratz. Today, I have Cheyenne from Once Upon A Time Review and she is going to talk about Mental Illnesses and how that is sometimes portrayed in books. I hope everyone enjoys and starts some discussion based off this post. Enjoy!


My name is Cheyenne and I blog at Once Upon A Time Review and let's talk about Mental Illness. Mental Illnesses are very real and no we aren't faking it. I'm sure there's those people out there who do fake who do it for attention, but there's people who don't fake it. When you fake something that gives people who experience the same thing as you a bad rep. A bookish example is when you read the really bad, poorly written self-published book that makes you not want to read other self-published books. Well, news flash there's a ton of amazing self-published books out there it's just that category of books are often overlooked.

Like everything else in the world everyone is different when it comes to mental illnesses. I think I mentioned this in a post on my blog, but I have anxiety and depression, it runs in my family along with other mental illnesses which I don't have. My anxiety and depression aren't as bad as others I can't speak for other people's severity levels, but I can speak for everyone when I say its not all fun games. It shouldn't be all dolled up because that would be portraying it badly.

When reading books about mental illnesses or seeing something on tv about it sometimes it feels like they doll it up. I think a lot of members in society do this too. Mental illness has come long ways since the times they put people in asylums for having postpartum depression and many other things, but now we have to keep making progress on it. Its all around us and it shouldn't be something controversial as it is.

I feel books are a great way to reach people because if done right it can touch a lot of people. If we educate society then it might not be so looked down on. If you know someone who has a mental illness talk to them and be there for them because that will mean the world to them. There's this website that someone directed me to that has this really well done article. There's also a a goodreads list that have books on it that deal with metal illnesses.

Thanks for reading this article you can find me on twitter @OnceUpo15467743 if you ever want to talk about anything my inbox is always open. Remember to keep looking for your Once Upon A Time.

So tell me: What did you think of Cheyenne's opinions? Do you agree and what are some books that you have read that portray Mental Illness very well?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top