Let's Talk!: The Last Orphans by: NW Harris

The Last Orphans Author: NW Harris Pages: 274 Published by: Clean Teen Publishing Published on: October 9th 2014 One horrifying d...

The Last Orphans

The Last Orphans (The Last Orphans, #1)Author: NW Harris
Pages: 274
Published by: Clean Teen Publishing
Published on: October 9th 2014
One horrifying day will change the life of sixteen-year-old Shane Tucker and every other kid in the world. In a span of mere hours, the entire adult population is decimated, leaving their children behind to fend for themselves and deal with the horrific aftermath of the freak occurrence. As one of the newly made elders in his small town, Shane finds himself taking on the role of caretaker for a large group of juvenile survivors. One who just happens to be Kelly Douglas—an out-of-his-league classmate—who, on any other day, would have never given Shane a second glance. Together, they begin their quest to find out why all of the adults were slaughtered. What they find is even more horrifying than anything they could have expected—the annihilation of the adults was only the beginning. Shane and his friends are not the unlucky survivors left to inherit this new, messed-up planet. No, they are its next victims. There is an unknown power out there, and it won’t stop until every person in the world is dead. A spine-tingling adventure that will have you gasping for breath all the way until the last page, The Last Orphans is the first book in an all-new apocalyptic series.

---


Okay, so The Last Orphans exceeded my expectations. Like I didn't expect this book to be such an enjoyable read. The plot was great and the characters, ugh the characters! They were such a great group of characters and just the best people for the setting of this book. If you like post apocalyptic books then go for this book! :)

Okay, i'm just going to look down at my notes and go straight down the list, because....well you know I think I'm going to section them, like usual. Let's begin then! The plot of this book was great. It stuck to the post apocalyptic theme and I just really liked the flow of events that went on. The beginning of the apocalypses was just fun too read! Preparing buses and food was pretty fun to read about. Then there was that one part when the kids from jail came into the gym. That part was pretty scary but the parts before when we were first reading about Shane's aunt dying and stuff was pretty mysterious. Then we have the second half of the book after we make it to the navy base. We got the trouble with the Shemus protecting the capitol building and being complete idiots and the animals being more attached to younger people. I thought this book was great when it came to the plot.

Let's talk characters. I think the characters in this book went great with the story. As I said in the non spoiler review, each character went great for this book. I was a bit sad when the best friend died (I forgot his name :/) but if he wasn't there then Shane would have died and I am glad Shane didn't die.

Okay now let's talk about some specific characters

  • Kelly and Shane: These two are so cute! I really do agree with Shane when he says Kelly wouldn't even be talking to him if it weren't for the apocalypse, but I am so happy these two talked. Even if she is one of the popular girls she is so nice. You would expect the popular people to be mean but Kelly is different. When they finally kissed it was glorious and everything was just glorious. 
  • Shemus and Maurice: Now I am pretty sure Maurice is the nice one but if I am wrong I'm sorry. These two are very different people. One is an idiot and the other knows who to trust. Maurice was right when he said Shemus didn't care about anything because before he was one of those guys who drug deals. I hope he feels like an idiot for giving Shane so much trouble just to keep his butt alive. Maurice was someone I really liked because e was willing to do anything to help get the machine off.
The reason for the machine to go on was just stupid. I'm not saying the author's idea is stupid, the government's idea was stupid. Like you are going to die with this machine so why are you doing this in the first place like?

Finally...the ending! The ending was great! I am super excited for the next book now! The ending got me so confused but excited for the next book. The whole time I was rereading the last page I was just thinking
There are more people? Adults?! What is happening here?! Does that mean we won't have to reproduce and basically start the world over again?! I just have so many predictions and questions for the next book I cannot wait to find out what happens! 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top